Monday, October 28, 2013

Tip of the Week: Listen to "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" - Image from Librivox
Halloween is only three days away. As such, I wanted to share with all of my readers one of my favorite personal Halloween traditions.

One of the many things that I love during this time of year is listen to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It's a classic Halloween story about the quiet Dutch community of Sleepy Hollow, which lay in the Adirondack mountains on the western shore of the mighty Hudson River in America’s colonial period. The solitude of the woods was breathtaking, and not even a schoolmaster was immune from the eerie miasma which everyone knew permeated the dense forest.

Written in 1820, Washington Irving’s The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow has become a classic of American literature and, in my mind, almost synonymous with Halloween. This story has been retold in many different ways, but I believe there is something special about listening to the original as it is read by a talented orator.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is available to download for free on LibriVox.com. I invite everyone to download it and listen to a Halloween classic.

Listening to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is your Tip of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment