Monday, April 15, 2019

Fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral

Firefighter - Stock Illustration/ Creative Commons
The city of Detroit was founded in 1701 as a French colony. For much of the 19th and 20th centuries, our community was known as the Paris of the Midwest because of its French heritage and influences. It is this context that I feel adds to my horror - and the horror that many of my neighbors feel - as we watch the news come in that Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is engulfed in flames.

I pray this afternoon that Saint Florian, the Patron Saint of Firefighters, watches over, guides, and protects the estimated 400 firefighters who are currently battling the blazes at the Notre Dame Cathedral.

I pray that the piece of the True Cross, the piece of the Crown of Thornes, the nails from the Crucifixion, and each of the other holy artifacts that are housed at the Cathedral are protected.

Finally, I pray that Our Lady of Paris brings comfort and peace to the people of Paris and to all of those souls who are affected by this tragedy.

Amen.

Update @ 9:34 p.m.
Since I published this post a few hours ago, two important developments have occurred. First, according to published news reports, all of the sacred relics that were stored inside Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris have been saved. In addition, President Emmanuel Macron of France announced in a televised address to the nation that the cathedral would be rebuilt.

While the fire itself is tragic, I feel that these two updates are important. Moreover, I also believe that the outpouring of support from around the world is both reassuring and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment