Monday, September 02, 2019

Happy Labor Day, Detroit!

Labor Day - Illustration by Mohamed Hassan/Pixabay
I want to take a moment to wish a happy Labor Day to everyone in Detroit's Warrendale neighborhood and beyond.

Besides being the unofficial end to summer, Labor Day is also to remember the social and economic conditions of the American worker. My father was a union carpenter. My paternal grandfather helped to organize the Pennsylvania coal mines for the United Mine Workers of America. The experiences and stories that have been passed down to me from these two men have made me more than a little sympathetic to the labor movement.

Local 2280 of the United Auto Workers will once again have a parade along Michigan Avenue in the nearby Corktown neighborhood. More details about this event can be found on their Facebook page.

Happy Labor Day, Detroit!

No comments:

Post a Comment